See Why Hotel Metro is One of the Top Hotels in the World
Hotel Metro is an Art Deco inspired hotel centrally located in the heart of Downtown, Milwaukee. This historic European-style hotel is within walking distance to shopping, museums, restaurants, Bradford Beach and a 10-minute walk to the Bradley Center. We offer 63 luxurious suites, several with fireplaces and Jacuzzis, that range in size from 450sqft (42 square meters) to 750sqft (70 square meters). Suites are equipped with a spacious living area, fully stocked minibar, 42in flat-screen TV and complimentary Wi-Fi.
Hotel Metro’s Rooftop Terrace, Zen on 7, includes a fireplace, outdoor seating and gorgeous views of the city. The hotel offers a sauna, fitness center, restaurant and a bar/lounge. Our full service restaurant, Pastiche at the Metro, serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, 24-hour room service and provides catering to private events.
Business-related amenities at this 4-star property include a business center and three event/meeting spaces. Parking is available on sight for an additional fee and complimentary bicycles are available to rent during spring, summer and fall seasons.
Thanks to our ongoing eco-friendly initiatives, Hotel Metro has become the first hotel in Milwaukee to be certified by Travel Green Wisconsin. The John Mariner building that houses Hotel Metro is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and we are a proud member of Historic Hotels of America. Scroll down to learn more about Hotel Metro’s history and environmental efforts.
The Hotel Metro got its start in 1937 housing shops and offices in the heart of a thriving downtown retail area. The architectural firm Eschweiler & Eschweiler designed the building in the popular Art Deco style of the time, most apparent in the high ceilings and curved walls. Upon its completion, the building was the first in Milwaukee to have full central air-conditioning.
The historic building had been abandoned when purchased in 1996. It’s owners, James Hummert, John Ogden, and John Wolter reimagined the property under the guidance of the late Madame Liane Kuony. Renowned for her design and culinary expertise, Madame Kuony envisioned the interior of the hotel to have a softer Art Moderne feel, a contrast to the more aggressive Art Deco style popular of the 1930’s. All aspects of the hotel, from the light fixtures and furniture to the design of the carpet were handpicked by Madame Kuony, each intended to evoke a certain feel encapsulating the overall ambiance.
Today our guests pay a nightly Historic Preservation Fee of $4.99 to help preserve and protect the building’s historic features.
Our boutique hotel has mastered the art of combining luxury and sustainability. The Art Moderne feel of the hotel incorporates sustainability into the very design. Sustainable forest products make the flooring and wood veneers present throughout the building. Tile and carpeting are made with recycled glass and plastics, and many of the curtains and fabrics were designed with organic cotton. Guests who choose to stay at the Hotel Metro not only minimize their carbon footprints, but also conserve water, forests and reduce waste through our recycling program.
Hotel Metro was the first hotel in Milwaukee to be certified by Travel Green Wisconsin. To learn more about this program and what it means for Wisconsin, please visit travelgreenwisconsin.com.
- Bamboo planking and cork public area flooring
- Guestroom carpeting made from recycled fibers
- All-natural cotton sheets
- Recycled forest products and glass used in architecture
- Complimentary bicycles available for guests
- Eco-friendly amenities
- Complimentary Metro cab is powered by 25% soy certified biodiesel
- Linen reuse program for guests staying multiple nights
- Energy efficient lighting in guest rooms
- Florescent lighting installed in basement–level parking garage
- Paper products made of 30% post consumer recycled content in the hotel and restaurant
- Energy-saving motion sensors in guestrooms
- High-efficiency hot water heater
- Eco-friendly dish soap and water monitoring practices
- Regular maintenance to find and repair leaky faucets, toilets, showerheads, etc.
- Excess toiletry items, linens, furniture, etc. donated to local charities
- All of Hotel Metro’s guest rooms are non-smoking
- Local fish, meat and produce are purchased when possible
- Carpet and adhesive have no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds)
Hotel Metro is a member of the Wisconsin Hotel & Lodging Association